The royal arsenal
In the years 1598-1604 King Christian IV built Lange Tøjhus as the royal arsenal of war equipment. Proviantgården opposite was built as a food store. Other new buildings were a powder house for refining sulphur and Galejhuset, a store for provisioning ships. The…
Royal monument went up in smoke
" In February 1647, a fire broke out in the Svovlhuset gunpowder and fireworks store. The fire spread to the royal arsenal and razed the armoury hall above the cannon hall. The roof and contents above the vaulted ceiling of the cannon hall were lost in the fire which also destroyed the King's alabaster sepulchral monument. This was to have assured his post-mortem glory. All that remains of the monument is the head of the King. But the King also lost his weaponry collection, his armour and colours; not only his own regalia but also those inherited from his father and grandfather. The 69-year-old King was so enraged by the tragedy, that he would have struck the officer responsible to the ground with his stick, had his attendants not intervened. "
Contribute to Tøjhuset, Proviantgården
Contribute with a story about this place?
Contribute with one or more pictures
Contribute with videos
Contribute with links