Vallø-
Facts

Royal charity

By

The core buildings at Vallø Castle we see today date back to about 1580 with some large extensions. In 1708, King Frederik IV bought Vallø and gave it to Anne Sophie Reventlow, his morganatic wife. For reasons of Christian kindness and royal compassion", Anna…

Show more

Contribute to Vallø

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

Access for blue-blooded virgins only

Listen to the story
Time / Periode 1737
0 comments 1 recommendations

Vallø became a home for twelve unmarried noblewomen. The young single women were guaranteed a decent future and when admitted were given an order on a ribbon and emblem. If one of the ladies married, the order could be worn at the ceremony but was then to be returned. As the institution was also to carry out comprehensive social work in the local community, a doctor was employed to help those in need". Vallø's transformation into a home for unmarried ladies of rank had no effect on Vallø Hospital or the older Skeel's Hospital, founded by Christen Skeel for Vallø in 1641, which continued as before. When the charter was changed in 1976, no more ladies could be admitted to the home. The new charter also brought an additional purpose - to promote charitable causes. "

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Vallø

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

Access for blue-blooded virgins only

Vallø became a home for twelve unmarried noblewomen. The young single women were guaranteed a…

Images (3)