Wedellsborg
Facts

Funen's largest estate

By

Wedellsborg has been known since the 13th century, first under the name Husby. Then in the 14th century as Iversnæs. In 1672, it gained its current name. The large irregular main building consists of three two-storey wings. It is shaped almost like a Z. The central…

Show more

Contribute to Wedellsborg

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

The super estates" of the absolute monarchy "

Time / Periode 1672 2009
0 comments 0 recommendations

Wedellsborg has been one of Funen's largest estates since the Middle Ages. In 1672, it became one of the new super estates" invented by the king the year before. Wedellsborg became a count's estate that was to be handed down from father to son intact, like a small kingdom. For almost 250 years, the estate included up to five manors and 200-300 farms, and covered almost seven parishes. In 1851, counts' estates were permitted to sell their farms but the counts of Wedellsborg sold nothing until 1916. A few years later, all counts' estates were dissolved by law, anyway. Even though Wedellsborg had to parcel out more land, it is still Funen's largest estate and shares its owner with Frijsenborg, the largest estate in Jutland. "

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Wedellsborg

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

The super estates" of the absolute monarchy "

Wedellsborg has been one of Funen's largest estates since the Middle Ages. In 1672, it became …

Images (2)