Yding Forte
Facts

A rare droveway to the commons

By

" Yding Forte is the name of a 750 metres long and 12-16 metres wide drover's road, along which cattle were driven from the farms and through the fields to pasture on the village commons by Yding Forest. The droveway was on common land owned by the village,…

Show more

Contribute to Yding Forte

Have you visited / Want to visit? Contribute to this place Add to route
Selected entry

The end of the road

Listen to the story
Time / Periode 1100 1800
0 comments 0 recommendations

For the peasant community, their common land may have felt like a million miles away – at the outskirts of the village, but was no less prized for that, since it ensured a vital balance between crops and livestock. But with the Forest Act of 1805, the farmers could no longer let their cattle graze in the forest. Although the drover's road still gave access to sand, water and wood, it gradually lost its value to the villages and became overgrown. In 2003-2004, the drover's road was reestablished and is now under a conservation order.

View all stories

Comments to the story (0)

Contribute to Yding Forte

Contribute with a story about this place?

Contribute with one or more pictures

Contribute with videos

Contribute with links

Stories (1)

The end of the road

For the peasant community, their common land may have felt like a million miles away – at the…

Images (2)