King Frederik IV founded the first Danish orphanage (Vajsenhus") in 1720. "Vajse" is an old word for an orphaned child. A good name, as the institution was a home and school for orphans. This gave the otherwise very socially vulnerable boys and girls a decent start in life to encourage them to be good members of society. The building, which was not finished until 1727, housed about 50 children. One year later, it went up in flames. The institution was relocated to Købmagergade in central Copenhagen where it remained for many years before moving to its present characteristic domicile in Nørre Farimagsgade 51, Copenhagen, in 1875. "
In 1740 and 1778, both King Christian VI and King Christian VII granted the institution the sole right to print first bibles and then hymn books to fund the running of the orphanage. This was a very profitable business, as Denmark was a devoutly Christian nation at the time, with all young boys and girls receiving hymn books as confirmation gifts. Rather surprisingly, the orphanage has retained the sole right to print hymn books. Bibles, on the other hand, are now published by the Danish Bible Society. This special arrangement has remained in effect for so long because bibles and hymn books are considered special texts and are therefore published only with the authorisation of Queen Margrethe II. Since the Reformation in 1536, only 15 different authorised hymn books have been published.